Saturday, April 13, 2013

It Was a Little Hot to Have Cheese with My Whine

Let me preface this by acknowledging that what I'm about to write falls squarely under the heading of first-world problems. With that said, I am a big believer that, if one holds a job that has a very clear-cut description but can't fulfill key elements of that description, you might be in the wrong line of work.

My understanding of the term "professional driver" is that it refers to an individual who is paid not only to get me from point A to point B but also to know how to get to said point B or at least its general vicinity given the address. While I appreciate that they may need some guidance within my neighborhood, said "professional driver" should not need me to tell them which exits/roads to take to get to my neighborhood, especially when I just got off the plane from a transatlantic flight.

This sentiment - bordering on resentment - was very deeply felt the other day due to the combination of starting that day at the equivalent of 10 pm, spending virtually all of the subsequent 16 hours in either an airport or an airplane. Going from that to Washington DC traffic in a car whose air-conditioning was blowing hot air while the outside temperature was around 80 degrees was sufficient to curdle any vestiges of the milk of human kindness within me.

I'm confident the air-conditioning will be fixed. As far as the driver's more fundamental issue, that's anyone's guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment