Thursday, January 13, 2011

"I Love It When You Talk Retro"or "Do You Sell Books Here?"

Anyone walking into a Borders these days who didn't know the company's history could be forgiven for wondering if they actually still sell books. Even among the creeping clutter of boardgames and cell-phone cases, obviously on some elementary level they do. In the bigger sense of helping a customer find something they hadn't realized they wanted, though, it isn't something I expect to find at a Borders any more.

With that in mind, it was with great surprise that more than a decade after leaving Borders I was on the receiving end of actual book-selling. Admittedly, it was at the registers when it was too late for me to investigate the very sensible suggestion, but it was the most encouraging thing I've seen at a Borders in years. Amusingly, considering how much the conversation felt like something from a different and somewhat distant time in the company's history, the recommended book was called "I Love It When You Talk Retro".

A quick look at Amazon confirmed that the book does, as the clerk described, discuss the origins of everyday expressions. I was tempted to order it from Amazon, but that would seem wrong in a way, not just from a karma standpoint but also because and it's actually nice to skim through a book before buying. Besides, thanks to the slightly desperate ploy that is Borders Rewards, I have a coupon that will let me get it for about the same price as Amazon.

As for the book-seller herself, I predict she'll either quit out of frustration or get promoted, meaning she'll rarely if ever talk to a non-angry customer. Either way, it's probably more of a loss than anyone in Borders' current management will appreciate.

2 comments:

  1. In my mind, a slightly blurry video plays out -- sorts, RGIS, trying to hook a particular customer up with just the right book, Rich Flanagan at main info, decorating for the holidays, beer with co-workers, talking with Mark Levy at Bookazine about what's good -- and "Where Did Our Love Go?" is the soundtrack. I miss the smell of pallets of books. I miss the folks I met at Borders, including you, Don!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kath. The feeling is quite mutual.

    ReplyDelete