Saturday, January 5, 2013

Overdue Sparks

Record companies have been so shameless about reissues since the 1990s that I'm pretty skeptical about buying new editions of albums I already own. This was the case of the reissue of Squeezing Out Sparks. I knew this reissue was out there and what was on it, but for whatever reason(s) I didn't feel the need to buy it. It's only now that I know firsthand what's on it that I appreciate the mistake I made and what I've been missing.

Simply put, the live recording of the entire album included here is a revelation. I've heard plenty of Parker's live performances, and while all of them are strong this batch is special. That's not to say that all the live versions are better than the studio recordings, but many are and even when they're not better Parker and the Rumour's energy - and the sheer strength of the songs themselves - carries the day. More than anything, they sound like they're trying to outrace the end of the world when the end of the world is only a step behind - and gaining. 

Even when the tempo slows down for the haunting "You Can't Be Too Strong", it's only a modest respite because that song still has plenty of edge and a bracing (and even angrier) rendition of "Passion is No Ordinary Word" is up next. This approach doubtless has a lot to do with the circumstances of the album's making. Without going too deep into its history (the liner notes summarize it well), it's fair to say that Squeezing Out Sparks was made at a time when Parker's musical life was join the line. Some bands wilt in that situation, but Parker and the Rumour embraced it and that same drive can be heard in these live performances. 

Between appearing in the movie This Is 40 and the new album with The Rumour, Three Chords Good, Parker is more high-profile than normal lately. I haven't seen This is 40, and despite some good songs I like the news album better in concept (and intention) than in execution. All that aside, there's no denying the quality of this album. You can make a case that some of Parker's other albums were better, but Squeezing Out Sparks was his defining moment. We have the tapes to prove it.


No comments:

Post a Comment