Monday, April 16, 2012

Jackie Robinson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Make a Double Play)

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of watching the Washington Nationals play the Cincinnati Reds on Jackie Robinson Day. Though I knew when I got my tickets that they were for the day where Major League Baseball commemorates the day Robinson first played in the major leagues, the significance of it didn’t fully register until well after the game’s 11th-inning conclusion. Robinson’s debut in the majors and the overdue process of integrating baseball that it started is certainly worth celebrating. At the same time, it’s important to remember that commemorations of our society’s advances are in some ways more significant for what they tell us about the progress we have yet to make as they are for what’s been accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment