Monday, July 18, 2011

Airlifted Onto the Titanic

Last year, a friend and former co-worker from Borders HQ was one of many people laid off by Borders. I recently learned he'd been rehired at his old job. The fact that something like this happens with someone who worked for the company for over a decade says a lot about why Borders is in the position it's in currently. For his part, my friend said he felt like he'd been airlifted onto the Titanic. In light of today's news that Borders appears headed for liquidation, it's hard to argue with that assessment.

I've said lots about Borders in previous postings, so I'll just add two things. The first is that this certainly isn't the way I imagined things ending for Borders (if I imagined any sort of ending at all) when I first walked into that most amazing book-store in Center City Philadelphia. The second is that when I worked in the stores I did my utmost to help every customer, even if all they could tell me was the color of the book's cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment