Sunday, June 7, 2015

Santorum's Donut

I've been trying for some time to envision how a Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage would affect my "traditional marriage". I finally found the answer via a donut. Contrary to what former Senator Rick Santorum might imagine - or actually believe - I did not presume that "gay marriage" would somehow pave the way to a bigamous union with this or any other  form of fried dough. Superficial as it may sound, the answer was a matter of appearances. Looking down at that sinfully delicious item on my plate, it was obvious. Zero - the answer was zero. A legal decision allowing consenting adults who love each other - or, at least, believe they do in that moment - doesn't diminish my marriage one bit. At times I wonder how much of the opposition stems not from misguided yet sincere religious conviction but rather the fear that the thousands and thousands of gay couples who've stayed together - sometimes for decades - despite decades of discrimination will make them look bad. Of course, people couldn't be that shallow, could they?

No comments:

Post a Comment