Monday, March 18, 2013

Hindsight May Be 20/20 But Delusion Is 100%

I had trouble deciding which quote from this past weekend's Conservative Political Action Conference beat exemplifies what ails the 21st century incarnation of the "party of Lincoln". There were simply too many good choices. Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin made stronger cases to get my vote here than would have been the case in an actual election, but simply picking their entire speech as the quote seemed like a cheat. Ultimately, I settled on NRA President David Keene. His comment that CPAC attendees "know deep down, as Ronald Reagan did, that we don't have to change" was a beautifully concise display of obliviousness. Apparently, Keene needs to read up on Reagan's positions, including those on firearms, a number of which would have made him unwelcome at CPAC. I'm sure there's a good joke to be made about this being a "time for choosing", but I need a - pardon the term - shot of espresso to wake me up first.

No comments:

Post a Comment