Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Big Time: 36 vs. XXXVI

A couple of months ago, I was measured for a suit, which turned out to be a great learning experience. In particular, I learned that, while I can pretend that bacon is my friend, the numbers leave no doubt that the tape measure isn't. Even though we the people are getting bigger en masse, it's hard not to feel self-conscious about my own increased mass when shopping for clothes.

I suspect I'm not alone in this feeling and the attendant belief that something must be done. Eating less is undoubtedly the smart option, but if others' will-power is as inconsistent as mine, it's simply not a realistic one. If you're not willing to make the changes needed to reach a lower size, then clearly the sizes themselves need to be changed. But how?

As with so many vexing questions, answers can often be found on the past, in this case ancient Rome. The simple path to feeling less self-conscious about buying larger clothing sizes is to label those sizes using Roman numerals. I don't have the chromosomes ( or predilection for drag) to assess the virtues of IX versus 9, but personal experience tells me that a pair of jeans sized XXXVI would be far less troubling than one marked 36. After all, perception is reality, at least until the heart disease takes you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment