Thursday, November 24, 2011

Shades of Thankful

Hosting- It's been 15 years since I first spent Thanksgiving with my wife and her family. This year will be the second time we've hosted her family. Some may see hosting their family for Thanksgiving dinner as a cause for stress. For me, though, the combination of not having to travel and not having to worry if I have another glass of wine makes it a golden-brown opportunity to enjoy a holiday that (whatever you want to say about its origins) seeks to put our hearts in the right places.

Family Is Thicker Than Blood- It wasn't until I started spending Thanksgiving with my wife's family that I truly appreciated and enjoyed this holiday. Being an only child, it's a strange turn of events that marrying into a family where my wife is the youngest of seven siblings is what finally made me feel like I belonged in one.

Music- There are definitely songs I can do without this time of year ("Donde Esta Santa Claus?" comes to mind), but "Fairytale of New York" and "Do They Know It's Christmas?", not to mention the Pearlfishers' Christmas album, are always in season for me.

Work- Not only do I get to work with some terrific people, I get paid to watch TV. Score!

The Sweetness of Light- The leaves are both off the trees and out of my gutters. I'll probably have to replace at least one strand, which means a trip to the store which I'd rather avoid this time of year. I'll probably swear a lot (an awful lot). However, when I see the lights as I get home from work, it'll be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment