Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Having and Wanting

When I first heard about the long-rumored plans for a TV and/or movie continuation of Arrested Development, I didn’t actually realize I was hearing about them. A friend had posted a reference to there being “money in the banana stand” on Facebook, and I simply assumed he had been watching his DVDs of the show recently. 

Since learning that there was more to that posting than a trip down memory lane, my feelings have taken a surprising turn, considering how much I love the show. My initial enthusiasm has since given way to a worry that news of the new installments are actually worse news for fans than its original cancellation was. As much as fans like me might hope otherwise, it seems almost impossible that the new exploits of the Bluth family can live up to our expectations. Arrested Development will always be better as a fantastic comedy that was cancelled before its time. Equally, it stands as an ideal symbol of broadcasters chasing the lowest common denominator in the short-term rather than finding a way to leverage a passionate fanbase for quality programs in the long-term. 

If there’s a lesson anywhere in here, I suppose it’s a fairly unexciting one. Having is never as good as wanting, especially when what you want is more of something that was already perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment