Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Beyond Mortal Men

Comic books have shown us funerals (premature though they may have been) for superheroes that were beloved. What about a funeral for one that was hated? A modest example follows. If you like it, let me know. There's more where this came from.
----------

The scene wasn't what Roger expected, but, then again, what had he expected? True, the deceased was one of the best known "mystery men" of the post-war era, but did he really expect a church full of gaudy costumes? Before his inner voice could answer, an external one interrupted the internal debate.

"It's always fascinated me," said Kevin, "That our kind only ever seems to come together for funerals."

"It's almost like a costume party in reverse," Roger thought aloud, as they stared down the aisle of looking for an open pew among the somber faces.

"I wouldn't say it's that much fun." The older man paused to take another look. "Still, I wouldn't mind having this size crowd when I go."

"I noticed that. I didn't think that many people liked Alden Groves."

"More than you'd think, I bet." They made their way about halfway down the aisle and took their seats, pausing only for a cursory display of Catholicism. "I'd guess a lot of them are here for the same reason we are."

"How do you mean?"

"Well, it's a chance to close out a rather unpleasant chapter of our collective past, maybe let go of some old resentments."

"Did you have any particular resentments towards him?"

"No, my resentments were pretty general. I thought his actions were reprehensible by any honest standard of decency, and...well, I'm just thankful that more people didn't get infected by his poison."

"I've always been curious about his reasons for doing it. His actions weren't so different from a lot of other people's back then."

There was something hard in Kevin's eyes when he responded, not anything angry just hard. "A lot of people got suckered in back then, even named names, but had the decency to feel bad about it later. If Groves felt any remorse, he never showed it. As for decency...," he started but let his words trail off with his thoughts.

"You've clearly thought a lot about this."

"It comes with age, when you realize that the arguments that divided you will never be settled." For a moment, it seemed like word and thought would trail off again but quickly came back into focus for him. "You'll find out for yourself eventually."

"Lately, I've been thinking it'll be sooner rather than later for me."

"You shouldn't let yourself think that way." There was genuine sympathy in the older man's eyes.

"I've been wondering if it's time to call it a day." Roger somehow managed to sound earnest and unconvinced at the same time.

"What do your knees tell you?"

"That it's a good thing I took up yoga in the seventies, but there's more to it...."

"Roger, when it's the right choice, it'll feel right, and you won't have to wonder." He paused for a moment when he saw the doors being shut then turned back to Roger. "Don't try to fit a round peg on a square hole. Trust me, there are lots of people willing to do that for you. Now hush, they're starting."

No comments:

Post a Comment