Sunday, April 24, 2011

Old Testament Justice

While the liberal in me knows I'm supposed to respond to the compassionate, social-justice orientation that pervades the New Testament, I have an abiding fondness for the vengeful deity whose handiwork is all over the Old Testament. This was brought home to me by a combination of one of the readings at tonight's vigil mass for Easter and the annual showing of The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act precludes me from posting the movie here, but I'm pretty sure the passage in question from Exodus is fair game.


"And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand over the sea, that the waters may come again upon the Egyptians, upon their chariots, and upon their horsemen. And Moses stretched forth his hand over the sea, and the sea returned to his strength when the morning appeared; and the Egyptians fled against it; and the LORD overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea. And the waters returned, and covered the chariots, and the horsemen, and all the host of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them; there remained not so much as one of them. But the children of Israel walked upon dry land in the midst of the sea; and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left. Thus the LORD saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians; and Israel saw the Egyptians dead upon the seashore. And Israel saw that great work which the LORD did upon the Egyptians: and the people feared the LORD, and believed the LORD, and his servant Moses."


After a scene like that, I don't think anyone doubted that the god of the Israelites was a badass, especially the Israelites who seem to have been wavering a bit. For those who keep track of such things, I believe the above passage is from Chapter 14, Verses 26 to 31. As for the movie, it's out on Blu-ray. I should get it so I can ponder Old Testament justice when I read about mean spirited politicians like Michigan State Senator Bruce Caswell. Caswell has recently unveiled a budget proposal dictating that children in the state's foster care system will be required to buy clothing in thrift stores or other second-hand outlets.

In a sense Caswell threads the needles between the two strands of Christian philosophy that duel within me. Because he lacks compassion for the least of us, I want to see righteous wrath unleashed upon him. Admittedly that's not the most Christian attitude, but I remain a work in progress in that department. For believers, I wish you a Happy Easter. For all others, I hope Sunday proves to be a nice day spent with friends and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment